# EXPERT TIP
How to get ready for a Christmas party
- 6 MINS
- 11 PRODUCTS
TONIGHT WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S HOUSE 99
Alright boys, buckle up: Tis the season of tough love on men’s hair, skin and body, AKA Christmas party season. Arctic weather, overindulging in alcohol, poor sleeping patterns and bloaty foods mean your skin and hair are at their most vulnerable to looking and feeling, well… anything but festive.
Lucky for you, we’ve put together a definite guide to Christmas party grooming – everything you need to do to get you look as good as David Beckham on Xmas day and everything you’ll need the next day to help detox – and look like you got a full eight hours.
MEN’S STYLE FOR CHRISTMAS PARTIES
For some offices, a Christmas party comes with a strict dress code and an excuse to break out the black tie. It’s a great opportunity to break out that one dapper jacket you bought for your cousins wedding. If you’re lucky enough to work in the type of office where a good pair of jeans or chinos does the trick year-round, get into the festive spirit and put on last year’s Christmas jumper from your mum, wrap a bit of tinsel around your neck and you’re good to go.
MEN’S HAIRSTYLE FOR THE CHRISTMAS PARTY (AND GET A JUMP ON YOUR NEW YEAR’S EVE LOOK)
IF YOU HAVE SHORT HAIR
Christmas parties are a great opportunity to try out a men’s hairstyle that is somewhere between professional and dishevelled – something we like to call ‘proshevelled’. For medium lengths, a textured look shows that you’ve gone to some effort but that you’re not too stiff.
1. Take a thumbnail scoop of the 2019 GQ Grooming new best hairstyling product award winning Change It Up Texturising Clay to freshly blow-dried hair, the morning of the party.
2. Run it through the lengths from front to back. The great thing about the House clay is that it is pliable and reworkable, so if you need to smooth things back out during the day, you can! Plus, it’s matte finish and lifeproof.
IF YOU HAVE SHORT-MEDIUM HAIR
In the days before the party, book yourself in at your local barbershop for a trim and tidy up – short back and sides with a little length on top is always a winner and sets you in good stead to try out a Pompadour, (one of David Beckham’s hairstyles we love at the House).
Get yourself a blowdryer, a comb and the Smooth Back Shaping Pomade and head over to our step-by-step guide to nail the look.
IF YOU HAVE LONG HAIR
When it comes to men’s hairstyles, whilst you probably can’t let your hair down, (literally) in the workplace, a sleek, glossy manbun hits just the right notes between party and professional.
1. Start by washing your hair with the Twice As Smart Taming Shampoo & Conditioner which, powered with spiruline and mint, strengthens hair from root to tip, boosts its thickness and reduces breakage.
2. Then, towel-dry and run through some Seriously Groomed Beard & Hair Balm from root to tip. It brings immediate structure to your hair, nourishing and disciplining it for the long haul, (i.e. into the wee hours of the morning).
MEN’S FACIAL HAIR GROOMING FOR CHRISTMAS PARTIESWhen it comes to men’s beard styles, it’s never a bad idea to pay your barber a quick visit and get a quick tidy up. A good rule of thumb is booking in a few days to a week before your event so your hair has the chance to grow out a little and not look quite so precision cut.
1. The day of, give your beard a good scrub with the Get Groomed 3-in-1 Beard Purifier which removes dirt, prevents beardruff and leaves it ready-to-be-kissed.
2. Finally, give it a run through with the Esquire grooming award winning Softer Touch Beard Oil which deeply nourishes and tames your bristles without feeling greasy. Plus, it smells like a treat – which means you will, too.
If you’re a moustachioed man, a lovely manicure never hurts, so give yourself a little pre-party trim using the Sharp Cut Shaving Stick. The soft, balmy texture raises facial hair to the perfect angle, ready to be shaped and shaved.
For those clean-shaven lads, start with a clean slate, courtesy of a little Purefectly Clean Face Wash to freshen and purify your skin first thing in the AM. Then, massage in the Greater Look Face Moisturiser to keep skin hydrated and fresh-feeling all day – and all night long.
MEN’S SKINCARE AKA XMAS DETOX POST-PARTY SAVIOURS FOR THE MORNING AFTER
No matter your best intentions, nothing can ever quite prepare you for the dehydration, lack of sleep and onslaught of carbs and grease (courtesy the 3am food craving) that will take their toll on your skin during party season. It’s less likely that you’ll manage to wash your face and hydrate the night of, so the morning after, follow these four steps for a fresh start.
1. Start by jumping in the shower and lathering up with the Polish Up Body & Hair Wash. It’s a two-for-one which is great, as you’ve probably slept through your alarm. The intensely cooling formula is menthol-infused, perfect for hot hangover head.
2. Then, get a good squirt of the Purefectly Clean Face Wash to purify and unclog those pores, leaving your face feeling as invigorated as your interpretative dance routine last night.
3. Slather on some of the GQ award winning Greater Look Face Moisturiser – it’s lightweight and helps enhance radiance which is important when you’ve got that slightly-grey, hungover thing going on.
4. Finally, dab a bit of the Truly Brighter Eye Balm under your eyes to reduce any dark circles and brighten them up. The quick-absorbing texture is infused with caffeine to give skin a boost of energy – kind of like those 12 espressos you’re about to chug.
5. For those of you with a sleeve or two of ink, (or even just a single, ‘Mum’ on your bicep) refresh your tatts with a spray of the Bold Statement Tattoo Moisturiser to rehydrate your skin, and get your skin art looking as bright as Christmas lights.